For all those IRON BUTTER’s … its all about PREPARATION …
2 weeks and counting…..
Please plan ahead for this ride and make sure you visit the official website for more tips www.ironbutt.com
The ONLY riders that are eligible to ride the 1500 mi/ 24hrs are those that are already a member of the Iron Butt Association – so in other words.. you have ALREADY completed a 1000/24 hrs or a 1500/36 hrs.
If this is your first time riding an Iron Butt challenge then you will need to start with the 1000 / 24 hr ride.
DO NOT – I repeat, DO NOT fill up your gas tanks BEFORE the briefing on Saturday Night or Sunday Morning.. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT… your first gas stop MUST have the start time on the receipt.
either 8:00pm or 4:00am depending on the ride you choose.
We will all get fuel together after the briefing to mark the start of the challenge.
Here are some hints:
- Make sure your bike is serviced and ready for a 1500 or 1000 mile ride
- YOU need to be well rested and healthy for a long days ride
- Pack rain gear and heated gear NO MATTER WHAT… you will need to keep your body core temperature regulated to reduce fatigue
- Pack food/snacks/water – The biggest consumer of time on an Iron Butt are the gas stops ! You do NOT want to be that rider waiting in line to buy a candy bar while everyone is ready to leave.
- Put snacks in small zip-lock bags that can be placed in your jacket pockets and eaten while riding – multi tasking at its finest !!
- Only wear gear that you have road tested, keep the new helmet and boots at home. (you don’t need to be sore anywhere but the obvious places)
- Print the form attached for your “log book”.. place it in a zip lock bag with a pen and use it to collect all gas receipts and write down stops.
1500 miles in 24 hrs= “Bun Burner GOLD” Saturday, May 7th
Hugs-n-Handshakes : 7:00pm – 7:45pm
Briefing : 7:45pm
1st gas STOP : 8:00pm
Location : SILHC
Heading to Lake Elsinore California and back then continuing onto Grand Junction Colorado and back to Vegas.
1000 miles in 24 hrs = “Saddle Sore” Sunday, May 8th
Hugs-n-Handshakes : 2:30am – 3:00am
Briefing : 3:00am
1st gas STOP : 3:15am – 3:45am
Location : SILHC
Heading to Grand Junction Colorado and back to Vegas. We will be leaving as soon as the first ride returns to join us.
Good Luck to you All !! Have fun!! Ride Safe !! Can’t wait to hear all about it at the meeting on Tuesday!!